VietFun For All   Quick Language Chooser:

Go Back   VietFun For All > Nhà Bếp > Recipes (Nấu Ăn)

CheriBlossom
Loyal Member
Số Điểm: 1453
Old 12-14-2019 , 12:57 PM     CheriBlossom est dconnect  search   Quote  
First day, we rented a car to drive around to places that we wanted to visit and hike where no bus could take us then beach. Second day was the 8 hour island tour then beach. Third day was a free day so we hit the beach in the morning then explore the area by foot and visit every mall + stores in the hotel’s vicinity since the place was massive. Fourth day, I told hubby we should purchase an all day bus pass and hop around town, anywhere the bus could take us. Ive written down all the places I wanted to visit so first stop was downtown Chinatown.

This Chinatown is far more cleaner than the Chinatown in New York. There were so many places to eat but hubby wanted to try Com Tam at Pho 97, after he yelped the place. I got my bowl of Bun Bo Hue, which by far, was the best, in comparison to my all time favorite at An Nam Bun Bo in San Jose. 😍

The people there were very friendly. Hubby went to pay and ended up talking to the owner like they were lost friends. I didn’t want to go to the cashier to interrupt 2 men talking so I texted him that I’ll be next door at the Dim Sum place.

I looked through the glass window to see the place packed with people. I knew I had to try it out so I ordered some bbq baked buns for myself. Hubby came over and got more of the steamed buns for himself all to go. The buns are decent size and were $1 each. I told him we can save them for later as a snack or even at the airport.

After we got our order, we went to the Nuoc Mia stand down the block. A large fresh sugar cane with Calamansi drink here is only $5 bux, much cheaper than that at the Century mall in San Jose. Hubby got the Vietnamese coffee which was also a few bux.

We then walked to the Sun Yat Sen Shrine, Japanese Temple and crossed the street to Kuan Yin Temple.
CheriBlossom
Loyal Member
Old 12-14-2019 , 01:09 PM     CheriBlossom est dconnect  search   Quote  
Next stop was the museums, then king Kamehameha statue, then Walmart and Ala Moana center.

We spent almost all day at Ala Moana center (the 9th largest shopping mall in the US). At the mall, we took the escalator down to the Japanese food hall at Shirokiya Japan Village, which was located in the garage shopping center of the mall. We have been here so many times, on our first trip to Honolulu which was 4 months ago, and 4 months later, which was the day after we arrived on the island and now again. I headed down the aisle to the fun center desk and handed 10 bux to the cashier for a $10 token so I can try my luck at the gachapon machine. There were so many machines so I randomly chose 1 that was half full, inserted the token, turned the dial where a ball came rolling down out from the slot. I cracked open the ball and yayyy, I got a $40 token to use at any of the selected food vendors that I like. $10 bux for $40 food or souvenir is a good deal after all.
CheriBlossom
Loyal Member
Old 12-14-2019 , 02:25 PM     CheriBlossom est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by VanLang76
Nhin Len thay troi
Nhin Xiong thay dat

I’ll finish the phrase for you.

https://youtu.be/ ; hence , after man kind expired and is...6’ under”

Don’t wait until you don’t have the health to follow your dreams.

Suggested movie is “Up”.
CheriBlossom
Loyal Member
Old 12-14-2019 , 02:36 PM     CheriBlossom est dconnect  search   Quote  
Here’s how it work. You don’t lose money but actually gain. You’re gonna try the food there anyways right? If you put in 10 bux, the most you could win is 100 dollars and the least is 10 bux which equals the value that you put in. It’s a win win for you anyways.
CheriBlossom
Loyal Member
Old 12-14-2019 , 03:09 PM     CheriBlossom est dconnect  search   Quote  
After we filled our belly up, we were ready for another expedition and that’s back to the Gift shop owned by a Viet lady/family. I told hubby we have to support our people so let’s see what else we could buy more there. ☺️

In that same shopping mall, down in the garage is Foodland. Food there are not cheap either but you can go browse when the heat is excruciatingly hot outside. If you ever come to this place, don’t forget to stop by to check it out.

From the Shirokiya Japanese hall through the parking garage, we finally walked out to the 85 degrees, sunny, hot and humid daylight. This weather was no where near when we were last here in the summer. It was so hot that you could barely breathe standing outside. I think December is a good time of year to visit Honolulu.

We walked to the bus waiting area to find all the seats occupied with people. I stood by a man whom I didn’t notice at first. You know sometime there’s an instinct within you telling you that someone is watching or looking at you. Well, I had that feeling so I turned to my right to see a man with the microscopic loupe in his left eye, the kind you see dental hygienists, dentists or jewelers use to see small or minute details. At first glance, I didn’t think much because I looked away but then I had to redirected my gaze at his direction again. That’s when I realized his right eye was shut and he’s probably blind in that eye.

There wasn’t even a line at all and as soon the bus showed up, everyone stood up but then had to move aside to make path for the handicap ramp to lower for an elderly man in wheel chair to get on. Right after he’s safely situated on the bus, people then scurried on. The bus was half packed with people and you don’t have time to think where you’d be sitting since the door closed instantly as soon as you got on.

I picked 2 open seat, at the window. It was the 2nd week of December and the temperature was in the high 80s but was was hotter than usual due to the humidity. Even though the ac was blasting on high, there’s no way you couldn’t notice the stinge smell of sweats and unpleasant body odor in the air.

Thoughts then came to my mind....
CheriBlossom
Loyal Member
Old 12-15-2019 , 01:51 PM     CheriBlossom est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by VanLang76
CB

You are so American and Westernized.
Why? Because I like to hike and take public transportations? 😱😂

I then thought about the man with the microscopic loupe on his eye and wondered if it was from a medical condition which has robbed him of his vision. In a positive way, I felt that I have been and indeed a lucky person after all. I’ve always compared myself to people with 20/15 or 20/20 vision. I’ve always hated myself and genetics due to to my poor eyesight but then, this poor eyesight of mine is minor and fixable with glasses or contacts. Nothing on me has transformed in a way like that poor man. I couldn’t shake my thought of him and the look on his face.
CheriBlossom
Loyal Member
Old 12-15-2019 , 01:59 PM     CheriBlossom est dconnect  search   Quote  
Next stop, was the gift shop then Farmer’s Market which started at 4 pm.
Hahah, I had to take this pic as a reminder just in case we forget.

This farmer’s market was decent and there were many vendors from different ethnic groups selling arts, crafts, food and drinks.

I was craving for fresh coconut so I walked to the coconut booth where an Asian man (couldn’t guess ethnicity) was busy making fresh drinks for his customers. He looked at me with a smile and went on cutting a hole in the coconut as fast as he could then continued helping the next one in line. As an Indian man finished drinking the fresh coconut water in the fruit, he asked the vendor to split the coconut in half so he could eat the meat inside as well.

That’s when I stepped up and as soon I was about to open my mouth to ask for 1 coconut, he asked, “em phai la nguoi Viet ko?” What da heo? How could he have guessed? I was surprised cuz in my life has anyone asked me straight in Viet if I was Viet when I know I don’t look Viet at all.😂 That’s was so cool though. I replied to him in Viet and then hubby showed up from nowhere and we all started talking in our language. 🤣Yep, roll just like the Mexicans and be proud of your language + heritage. Who cares what others around you think. 😂