VietFun For All   Quick Language Chooser:

Go Back   VietFun For All > Nhà Bếp > Recipes (Nấu Ăn)

Deweyknowss
Banned
Số Điểm: 3035
Old 03-12-2010 , 04:32 AM     Deweyknowss est dconnect  search   Quote  
I need your helps on this. If you happen to ever have involved in the process of searching for a child who was adopted by an American family from Vietnam before 1975, please take a moment to share with me your experience.

I have an Auntie, my uncle’s wife. She has a younger sister who was adopted by an American medical doctor through a local Catholic church in around 1964 - 1965. The exact time is not certain because the family were not informed of the actual departure date while her sister was staying at the church dues to her serious illness at the time. The church later got burn down very badly during the 1975 invasion, and most of the legal documentation had totally destroyed. My Auntie no longer has any picture of her sister, other than just a description of an image and the outfits that her sister was wearing in a couple old pictures that she believes the church had in the adoption files. There are also some personal information regarding her birthday, original hometown, birth-name, and other personal information that I have in a letter from my Auntie.

I realize that this is, by far, a long, long shot for locating someone based on so little information. As a matter of fact, whether her sister is still alive or not is also another question. Even if she is still alive, which means she is by now at her early 50s, there is a good chance that she might not remember much of childhood. However, for my Auntie and her very sadly family background from a little village, I wanted to give it a year or two to try locating her long-lost sister.

Here is the one source that I am looking into at the moment: http://www.childwelfare.gov/adoption....cfm#preparing.

I will explore other sources as well, as I continue on this search. However, I am also seriously hoping that some of you might have known something that could help me shorten the time on reading those lengthy materials. Please feel free to share your comments and suggestions.

Sincerely, thank you for your time in advance!!

Last edited by Deweyknowss; 03-12-2010 at 06:21 AM..
Deweyknowss
Banned
Old 03-12-2010 , 07:32 AM     Deweyknowss est dconnect  search   Quote  
Of course I will have to try translating this letter into English for the search. But, for now, I am also hoping that the description in the letter will somehow ring a bell as someone reading it …. Who knows, perhaps that someone could be her, or someone who happens to know her. Other than that, is there anyone had done this type of search before??

TÌM EM

Tìm Em: Lê Thị Xí
Năm Sinh: 1958
Nguyên Quáng: Thôn Vân Dương, Xã Hoà Liên, Huyện Hoà Vang, Đà Nẵng - Viet Nam .

Em Xí sang mỹ khoang năm 1964 - 1965. Em lúc còn nhỏ ớ với bà nôi. mẹ và chị ở Xã Hoà Liên, Huyện Hoà Vang, Đà Nãng . Em Xí sau đó sang Mỹ từ Nhà Thờ Con Gà, ở Thành Phố Đà Nãng, cho đến nay .

Bà Nội Tên: Nguyễn Thị Hành
Mẹ Tên: Hồ Thị Khuê
Chị Tên: Lê Thị Khê, sinh năm 1953

Hoàn cảnh gia đình rất nghèo, bố đi ra miền bắc, bà nội già, mẹ bệnh, mấy chị em thì còn nhỏ . Lúc đó Em Xí bị bệnh (huyên suyễn - having very difficult time reading her handwriting) rất nặng, nên bà nội và mẹ mang Em Xí đến Nhà Thờ Con Gà ớ Đà Nãng để chữa bệnh. Khoảng 5 tháng sau, nhà thờ có gọi bà nội và mẹ đến nhà thờ để làm giấy tờ cho một bác sĩ người mỹ (không rõ tên của người bác sĩ mỹ) nhận Em Xí làm con nuôi . Địa chỉ làm giấy tờ lúc đó là đối diện với Nhà Thờ Con Gà, trung tâm thánh tâm (nay là Trường Trưng Vương, đường Yên Bái, Thành Phô Đà Năng). Một năm sau, nhà thờ có gọi mẹ đến nhận một ít quà và hai tấm hình chụp Em Xí tại Mỹ . Nhưng vì lý do gì đó không rõ, nhà thờ không cho biết địa chỉ của Em Xí đang sống ở Mỹ . Trong thời gian chiến tranh, hai tấm hình chụp của Em Xí đã bị thất lạc . Chị Khê chỉ nhớ la:

Tấm hình thứ nhất: Em mặc áo đầm màu xanh, áo lạnh khoát ngoài màu xanh, đứng cạnh chiếc xe hơi, trong khu nhà vườn rất đẹp .

Tấm hình thứ hai: Em mặc áo đầm màu đỏ, nhuộm (having hard time reading her handwriting) tóc vàng hay đội tóc giả màu vàng, đứng trên giường nệm đang múa .

Từ đó đến nay không còn liên lạc được nữa . Đặt điểm của Em Xí lúc còn nhỏ là em nhỏ con, bị bệnh (Thuyen Suyễn ?). Ở cổ tay, em có sẹo vì bị mảnh gương cắt .

Đia Chỉ Liên Lạc (đúa cháu hiện đang ở Chicago)

Duy (Dewey) 847-452-0945

Last edited by Deweyknowss; 03-12-2010 at 07:44 AM..
Deweyknowss
Banned
Old 03-12-2010 , 08:09 AM     Deweyknowss est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by msChatter
thu*? lie^n la.c vo*'i to`a dda.i su*' My~ or dept of state in USA coi sao vi` khi that American couple brought your aunt's sister to USA they have to get help from US embassy or dept of state....

Also check with SSN office to see if they know any Asian of that age applied for the? social security in USA around that time.

after explaining your story Dept of State might point you to the right place too.

Very good idea... I will definitely look into that as well. Thanks, Ms..
meomung
Số Điểm: 731
Old 03-12-2010 , 08:43 AM     meomung est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by Deweyknowss
Very good idea... I will definitely look into that as well. Thanks, Ms..

You may want to watch this clip real story, may have tip to find your relative .
Good luck ,and Best wishes to find your relative
And just incase, if you find your relative .Do not let it happen wrong impression like Heidi >so sad!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ueTwnMb8dI

Last edited by meomung; 03-12-2010 at 08:46 AM..
LuyTre
Số Điểm: 390
Old 03-12-2010 , 02:08 PM     LuyTre est dconnect  search   Quote  
You may want to start with the Red Cross service. They have a "missing person" service. Even if they can't help at least they can give you some uselful pointers. When we first settled in the States many years ago, they helped my Mom to locate her brother fairly quick. Good luck !
Deweyknowss
Banned
Old 03-13-2010 , 03:50 PM     Deweyknowss est dconnect  search   Quote  
Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for your time and suggestions. I am actually looking into more of other potential sources, including the ones that you had suggested. It seems that there are many different ways to initiate the search, although mostly rather time consuming. But I will try keep it going.

Perhaps I will be back to give you an update on this periodically. Again, thank you!!
Anon
Số Điểm: 9
Old 03-14-2010 , 10:07 PM     Anon est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by meomung
You may want to watch this clip real story, may have tip to find your relative .
Good luck ,and Best wishes to find your relative
And just incase, if you find your relative .Do not let it happen wrong impression like Heidi >so sad!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ueTwnMb8dI

wow, speechless. All they want is money to send back.
nguye010
Số Điểm: 20
Old 03-15-2010 , 04:42 AM     nguye010 est dconnect  search   Quote  
ABC channel has a show "find my family". They have tracked down a lot of long-lost relatives without any costs. They might help.

Vanh Khuyen