VietFun For All   Quick Language Chooser:

Go Back   VietFun For All > Giải Trí > Nối Vòng Tay Lớn

workforcoffe
Số Điểm: 198
Old 05-26-2016 , 09:20 AM     workforcoffe est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by Alashikata
Found it. He was my professor I don't think he would remember me but you can mention a Viet guy of his student in surveyor class refer you. He had taught a lot of Viet guys in the 90s that all of us are ended up working in the same company. I think some of them working the Bay area.

German Engineering Ltd
http://www.findusabusiness.com/c/b/g...ng-ltd/6432184

My dream is building a custom home by myself that my friend can help me to do a floor plan and lot parcel for free but I haven't found time to do it. If you think you can turn around to make a lot of money on your lot, then do it. Otherwise, look for different direction. Do a study report and estimate before making decision.
Thanks Al,
I will keep this thread in case I need it later.
My ong xa~ thinks that house with big lot is easier to sell than house on the small lot if we decide to build house to sell. The house on my street less than 10K lot and 3,333 sq feet listed at $1.99M already sold for $1.89M in 3 weeks. If I split the lot, build 2 houses and sell only $1M for each, then I rather build 1 house and sell $2M.
Anyway, thanks so much for your idea and advise.
Alashikata
Platinum Member
Số Điểm: 6101
Old 05-27-2016 , 12:54 AM     Alashikata est dconnect  search   Quote  
Có một vài vấn đề mà 2 vợ chồng chị nên suy nghĩ cho kỹ

-Does it worth to parcel the lot?
1. If the width less than 100', then forgot it
- 100' total, 50' each lot
--Max is 2000 sq-ft for a single story or 4000 sq-ft for 2 stories
--Single story is more valuable then 2 stories
--Neighbor around your lot may not allow to do 2 stories.
--2 door garages = 20'
--Living room = 10'
--Hallway = 6'
---Total = 36' width (standard floor plan)
---50' - 10'(city requirement) = 40' for the house width
---The 36' floor plan doesn't look good. If you push to 40', it becomes custom build. I am sure you have seen the neighborhood there, 2 nhà xít chịt, cách nhau có 10' and the backyard is pretty small.

Width 110' trở lên thì có thể cất nhà đẹp hơn, mặt tiền nhìn có giá trị

2. If the lot is straight, the survey may be cheaper because they can run a perfect line and more easy for calculation. Còn như là cong cong ẹo ẹo thì tụi nó phải take many points. Boundaries rất la quan trọng, làm không đứng bị neighbor sue Đây cũng là vấn đề quan trọng 5' spacing requirement each side để cất nhà, lở như chấm hong đúng, cất nhà bên 4' bên kia 6' coi như city bắt phải đập nhà ra Lúc đó ngòi khóc

Need to get at least 3 estimate: 2 locals, 1 from my city. Remember, there is some laws on business license. Chị không thể nào muốn 2 kỹ sư bên VN qua survey cho rẻ tiền như là $10k Cái đó nó gọi là phá giá, even you get estimate from my professor, he may give you a better deal but don't expect 1/2 price. If they allow this way, then everyone can get a cheap land surveyor from other cities.

3. Custom bulid:
--Average building cost $150-$250/ sq-ft
--Custom home: $350/sq ft

Your case is pretty much fall into custom build. For 2000 sq-ft, you look for total cost around $700k-800k. Build 2 small houses at 1500 sq-ft each, single story, you may able to sell $1mil-1.2mil each

However, keep as 1 lot, build 4000 sq-ft single story, you look for the cost $1.4mil to $1.5mil. Maybe can sell for 22.5mil to $3mil

4. Những cái mẹo trong cuộc song
--Of course, we always forget something during construction. Every single item that you want to add that not in floor plan, you have to pay extra, no exception. They always try to get money from your pocket.

--Sometimes you hire a vnese guy even he has the license, he charges you $100k but he turns around look for another sub contractor guy to do it for $80k, he just sits there to get $20k It does happen, íts a dirty business out there.

--So you choose for big compnay? They charge you more but the job is well done. Pick a small company, you will run in all kinds of sh!t.

One of example: you ask them to do the floor in the bathroom with old toilet, they only charge what in contract. However, you decide later to upgrade/buy new toilet after théyre done with the floor, they will charge you $150 for installation of new toilet If you don't want, they will put old toilet back for you free.

5. Be careful how to pay. Plan and make agreement on payout.

-Project starts: pay 20%
-50% done: pay 70%
-Complete: pay 10%

--This is an other issue you need to research. Make sure follow the contract. You don't pay, they don't do and delay until you pay. It 's how they want your money.

There are a lot of things I can't remember unless you ask. If I have answer, I will let you know.
Alashikata
Platinum Member
Old 07-10-2016 , 02:26 AM     Alashikata est dconnect  search   Quote  
Gezz, took the recommend from a friend instead of youtube that ruined my 2 days weekend instead of 2 hrs work So if anyone to polish the floor, use roller, it's the best and faster to get away from stinky smell polyurethane.

That suck with window cleaning tool

With a roller, take less than 30 mins to finish the hallway

Feline
Loyal Member
Số Điểm: 1936
Old 07-10-2016 , 06:54 AM     Feline est dconnect  search   Quote  
The first thing that came to my mind was: why didn't he use a paint roller? A window tool will spread it unevenly and will take a lot longer. That looks like a fun project!
Alashikata
Platinum Member
Old 07-10-2016 , 07:05 AM     Alashikata est dconnect  search   Quote  
The reason I don't want to throw away the roller after that so I tried the window cleaning tool Oh well, I can get it's done by next week with baseboard too. Then move on the next room. Hopefully, complete the house by the end of the year.
ii2404
Loyal Member
Số Điểm: 1176
Old 07-10-2016 , 07:23 AM     ii2404 est dconnect  search   Quote  
You dont want to keep the original floor?
Feline
Loyal Member
Số Điểm: 1936
Old 07-10-2016 , 07:25 AM     Feline est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by Alashikata
The reason I don't want to throw away the roller after that so I tried the window cleaning tool Oh well, I can get it's done by next week with baseboard too. Then move on the next room. Hopefully, complete the house by the end of the year.
Oh okay that makes sense. I wish I was in Cali! I would totally help you! I love working around the house and getting down and dirty like a handyman. You'll get it done before the end of the year because you work 6-8 hours a day or less, 4 days a week.
Alashikata
Platinum Member
Old 07-10-2016 , 07:42 AM     Alashikata est dconnect  search   Quote  
That's the original floor from first owner, then the second owner put a carpet on. I am a third owner since 1992 but didn't realize it was solid wood underneath until I start renovation the house. Was thinking to replace carpet with laminate but plan change after saw the solid wood, cost less with sanding and polishing the wood but take a lot of work.

Even with a lot of days off, I don't rush to do anything to finish. Take a while to get ideas
ii2404
Loyal Member
Old 07-10-2016 , 07:51 AM     ii2404 est dconnect  search   Quote  
Oh. Then why do you have those laminated planks lined up in the corner?
Alashikata
Platinum Member
Old 07-10-2016 , 08:10 AM     Alashikata est dconnect  search   Quote  
The floor is still wet, take a day to get it dry so I use it to walk around

Those laminate left over from the cut of the stair from other house that I saved, thinking to mix laminate and title in the kitchen of this home that I have seen at my friend house.

This is what I have in mind for kitchen since I got a lot of those laminate that i don't want to throw away.

ii2404
Loyal Member
Old 07-10-2016 , 08:54 AM     ii2404 est dconnect  search   Quote  
Isn't better to have all tile in the kitchen?
Alashikata
Platinum Member
Old 07-10-2016 , 09:10 AM     Alashikata est dconnect  search   Quote  
Yeah, but I like to mix them together since I have a lot of cut laminate left over from other house. If it doesn't look good, I can remove then redo with something else
ii2404
Loyal Member
Old 07-10-2016 , 09:27 AM     ii2404 est dconnect  search   Quote  
Are you going to glue them down or floating floors?
Alashikata
Platinum Member
Old 07-10-2016 , 09:33 AM     Alashikata est dconnect  search   Quote  
floating, more easy to remove later if it doesn't look good
ii2404
Loyal Member
Old 07-10-2016 , 12:53 PM     ii2404 est dconnect  search   Quote  
when you walk on floating floor, you'll make a lot of noise. lol is the picture of the stairs your house?
Alashikata
Platinum Member
Old 07-10-2016 , 01:30 PM     Alashikata est dconnect  search   Quote  
You were talking over 10 years ago that was using 6 mm to 8 mm thickness. I am using 12 mm with 3 mm underlayment that you won't hear anything. i didn't use 14 mm since cost more otherwise it would be better.

It's the stair that took me 3 months to finish The project took me almost a year to complete that my neighbor kept stop by but I haven't moved in The stair was the hardest part. Learned a lot of tricks after that. At first, Costco gave me estimate $16k, then I went around and checked out for 4 months to finally cost everything included tools: $4500 for laminate and underlayment, and $500 for tools with my labor.

Here are few pics

ii2404
Loyal Member
Old 07-10-2016 , 01:51 PM     ii2404 est dconnect  search   Quote  
my sister had someone installed bamboo flooring, costed about 11k or 15k. it's also floating and you can hear every time they walk. I don't know the thickness though. you did a good job if you can't hear anything. What material did you use under the laminate planks?
Alashikata
Platinum Member
Old 07-10-2016 , 02:22 PM     Alashikata est dconnect  search   Quote  
I used the standard 3mm 3 in 1 underlayment. They have 4 mm which it costs more.

There should not be any creeking/popping when walking on if install correctly. Even my cousin got the 10 mm laminate from Costco. I didn't hear any noise at all. Maybe the subfloor is not flat? They should have check the level. Did you hear the pop after install? Sometimes, it needs few months to settle in for summer and winter. Can be other issue too such as not enough expansion space, to allow for a gain in humidity, will buckle the floor, causing the edges to be tight and compressed. A step on this area, will pop or crackle.

Some contractors will get cheap material to make more profit if you negotiate the deal. If you go pick out and pay for the material, then pay for the labor would be better. The labor usually cost 2 times of the material.
ii2404
Loyal Member
Old 07-10-2016 , 02:48 PM     ii2404 est dconnect  search   Quote  
They installed this about 3 years ago, i can't recall the details. The bamboo planks were delivered i think about two weeks or a month in advance to prevent buckling of the wood? i forgot the exact term. Anyway, the material they lay beneath the wood wasn't the black material like yours.

my sister did pick out the stuff they wanted, but they don't know much or researched about it. they picked out what looks good, probably don't know too much about quality. the wood floor was only for upstairs, so that can be the problem too?
Alashikata
Platinum Member
Old 07-10-2016 , 03:17 PM     Alashikata est dconnect  search   Quote  
Yeah, they have to bring to your house for 2 weeks and open the plastic cover so it can expand or contract depend on the temperature. On second floor, it doesn't require moisture layer so they may use a cheap one. I wonder your sister picked out the underlayment too or forgot about it. Usually, they explain what the underlayment does. The expensive one cost few hundred more, around $300, to give out the best quality but some people like to choose the cheaper one that I have seen many times.

Let say if they placed a good underlayment, then the problem may be the subfloor. If the house was built after 2000, the subfloor should be good. Unless there is a problem with the foundation.