VietFun For All   Quick Language Chooser:

Go Back   VietFun For All > Giải Trí > Nối Vòng Tay Lớn

Feline
Loyal Member
Số Điểm: 1939
Old 10-11-2016 , 05:37 PM     Feline est dconnect  search   Quote  
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for a job interview or interview performance aside from the usual articles online? This forum is dead so I just wanna start some dialogues and learn from you clever folks.

Last year a friend referred me to her company and I went on an interview there. I thought I was confident and modest and not overconfident or cocky with regards to my knowledge and experience; plus I had asked for $5 more than what I'm making and they chose someone else with fewer qualifications than me for the position so they could pay them less, even though they were like...well, we want someone who's driven and is pursuing a specialty blah blah blah...but apparently they didn't want to pay me that much. The company sucks anyway according to the people who work there and from other people who know the owners of the place. Even the interviewer said that management needs some improvement but that she was working on changing things. Well, old habits are tough to change. My girlfriend who works there is always texting me about how work sucks and she's not happy because management doesn't listen and their checks always bounce but the only perk is that it's close to her house and she likes the hours.

I apply for jobs every year so I can just go on interviews for fun and to sharpen my interview skills and also because I get bored and have nothing else better to do with the little free time that I already have. Yes, I'm a bit crazy...just a tad bit.

I have an interview in two days and was wondering what else I should do other than the usual obvious stuff. I always ask a few questions to show my interest in the company but quite honestly, whether I get this job or not, it won't affect me much other than my already bruised ego from last year. My goal is to be double (or triple) boarded in multiple disciplines because why not, right? If you don't challenge yourself or keep yourself occupied, your mind will be stagnant, and a mind is a terrible thing to waste!
ii2404
Loyal Member
Số Điểm: 1176
Old 10-12-2016 , 04:23 AM     ii2404 est dconnect  search   Quote  
I don't have much experience with interviews. My last job interview was 8 years ago, lol. The questions they asked me were scenarios, what would i do in this situation, etc.

Networking is very important, because sometimes it's all about who you know. Do you guys have a professional association that you can join and attend an annual conference? That's a good way to network.
lamdzuyen
Royal Member
Số Điểm: 20801
Old 10-12-2016 , 05:49 AM     lamdzuyen est dconnect  search   Quote  
i've been bruised left and right the last couple months first, they gave me 2 rounds of phone interview with technical skills...passed, then i had to show up with a panel of 8-10 interviewers....there, each of them take turn to abuse my knowledge stupid thing is that each job you do are different so it all depends on requirements and protocol, but those 8-10 idiots always bring up what they are doing and expect me to have the same experience/knowledge, they don't get to the technical part....am like....with the profession we're in, you have to know that each company has its own proprietary, i can't disclose to you what i've been working on because i signed papers saying i cannot disclose what i did, and so did you with yours....so aniways, trimming and abusing Juniper is what i do to release my stress....told my ongxa that is my therapy
Old 10-12-2016 , 06:23 AM     Feline est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by ii2404
I don't have much experience with interviews. My last job interview was 8 years ago, lol. The questions they asked me were scenarios, what would i do in this situation, etc.

Networking is very important, because sometimes it's all about who you know. Do you guys have a professional association that you can join and attend an annual conference? That's a good way to network.
Hahaha wow 8 years is not too shabby! I also can't commit to anything so I jump around every couple of years. It's also the only way I get a pay raise in my field. Sad, but true.

I belong to three organizations not because I want to but out of necessity in order to apply for specialty areas and for discounts on annual conferences. My annual conference(s) consist of CEs so it's difficult for me to network as I attend one lecture and then go to the next one like classes. I also don't get the concept or process of networking. It all just seems so superficial and artificial to me. I know people from the ones I've worked with and that's about it. I suck at initiating conversations as I'm so timid with people I don't know.
Feline
Loyal Member
Old 10-12-2016 , 06:30 AM     Feline est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by lamdzuyen
i've been bruised left and right the last couple months first, they gave me 2 rounds of phone interview with technical skills...passed, then i had to show up with a panel of 8-10 interviewers....there, each of them take turn to abuse my knowledge stupid thing is that each job you do are different so it all depends on requirements and protocol, but those 8-10 idiots always bring up what they are doing and expect me to have the same experience/knowledge, they don't get to the technical part....am like....with the profession we're in, you have to know that each company has its own proprietary, i can't disclose to you what i've been working on because i signed papers saying i cannot disclose what i did, and so did you with yours....so aniways, trimming and abusing Juniper is what i do to release my stress....told my ongxa that is my therapy
Hahaha poor LD! So did you hear back from them? They usually make you wait a couple of weeks or more so they can screen and interview other candidates prior to deciding on one. Your job sounds like it's top secret!!! I don't think I can handle 8-10 people interviewing me. I would have to wear a diaper for the interview and call it a day! If they're willing to teach/train you then why does it matter about what you've done in the past or your current projects? I guess they were trying to get some juicy details out of you and to assess your capabilities, of which I'm sure you're very qualified to do.

As for me, I just want more meaningless letters and certifications behind my name so I am free to move anywhere and call all the shots.
AnhCung
Diamond Member
Số Điểm: 9979
Old 10-12-2016 , 06:54 AM     AnhCung est dconnect  search   Quote  
I am usually very good in interviews and rarely do I not get the job and terms I ask for. However, The last interview I had was horrific. I haven't been on an interview probably over 12 years, mostly because for a long time I've always worked for myself. I remember sitting in that interview stuttering, freezing, and just looking like a deer caught in head lights.
It went so bad that I even told the interviewer, "who am I kidding. I'm not going to get this job based on this performance." and excused myself.
That was a rude awakening for me. Didn't realize how rusty I was. The one immediately after that I knocked it out of the park and received the offer same day.

What I always tell people when it comes to interview is don't talk you way out of a position. That means say enough to show you're knowledgeable, but not too much to hang yourself. A good interviewer (like me hahaah) will feed off of what you say and dig further to test if you really know extensively about things you say.

As for salary, I always know what number I want and what number I'm willing to accept. For instance, if I think my position is worth $160k, and that's the least I would take then I would come in requesting $170k.
But I do not give them the opportunity to deny it by wording it as follow. (give or take some words)

I am confident I am fully capable of meeting every expectation we've discussed thus far and believe I can bring more to the table with my experience and knowledge. I am currently making $163k (lie if you need to, they can't confirm it) and would like to remain competitive in the industry as far as salary. With that being said, I would hope you can consider $170k. blah blah blah
I do not mind proving myself to you and the company so if it makes you more comfortable, maybe we can agree on $163k, with an understanding that in 90days we can both sit down again to reconsider the $170k. That will give me a chance to earn your trust and show that I'm worthy of the $7k.

Sounds like a bunch of mumble jumble, but the key is, you're not demanding a raise. You're not cornering them into thinking they have to agree to this immediately, and most importantly it makes them think they still have the control.
It works every time. The best part is you wanted 160k, but you're now getting $163k which is already higher, even if you don't get the 7k later, you're already higher than where you wanted to start.

All this is based on whether or not you're capable and of course if the position is even offering in that neighborhood.
LinhXa
Royal Member
Số Điểm: 33046
Old 10-12-2016 , 08:54 AM     LinhXa est dconnect  search   Quote  
I love go to an Interview .. the formal the better = good lunch at high ends restaurant ...

beside doing your DD about the company and the job opening ....

know by heart of 5-7 real stories about: success, failure, difficult tasks/ppls/projects, strength/weakness, long/short term goals, and team work ... know them well cause you can always refer back to one of your stories for answering ...

I view an Interview as a ... exchange of ideas ... session. therefore; you answering 2-3 questions then you must ask them back questions and discuss about it ... if your question make them stuck you will be noticed and will get that job ...

do not just answering their questions and become silence ...
CheeseDoodle
Số Điểm: 90
Old 10-12-2016 , 09:16 AM     CheeseDoodle est dconnect  search   Quote  
You guys are so savvy. I suck at interviews. If it's a technical interview then maybe, but otherwise it's just horrible, and panel interviews are the worst. I would rather face a series of grueling one on ones. Do you change your tactics if the interviewer is a woman?
emmuathubuon
Số Điểm: 833
Old 10-12-2016 , 03:15 PM     emmuathubuon est dconnect  search   Quote  
I'm going thru a midlife crisis...I resigned my job a months ago n went on my trip to jamaica n domanican republic all by myself ,had a fantastic time,,the time of my life unstil I got back last week n asked myself what have I done? Anyway I sent my resume out last week 5 hours arrive at yyc ,I had avery negative feeling that it tough to get job with this economy in my city n surprisingly got called for interview twice in a same day,,,this morning I just got hired from a job,,I was caught off guard,,I shook hands n thank them for their time thought to myself game over I need to get the hell out of here ,n they said we not done with u yet n after one more question ab when can I get on board they told me you r hired,,,I'm like really,,my last job I have to come home n wait for a few days,,,anyway,, this job pay ok,,I'm waiting for my interview with another company on Friday morning n this is it,,this is the place I really really want to get my foot on the door,,I'm nervous now,,can't wait to get this things over,,,I told myself if I don't get this job this Friday, it's ok,it's not end of the world,remember u just got hired from another job two days ago,,no big deal...anyway wish me luck...I do really want this job on Friday interview in order to move forward

Last edited by emmuathubuon; 10-12-2016 at 03:22 PM..
LinhXa
Royal Member
Số Điểm: 33046
Old 10-13-2016 , 02:25 AM     LinhXa est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by CheeseDoodle
You guys are so savvy. I suck at interviews. If it's a technical interview then maybe, but otherwise it's just horrible, and panel interviews are the worst. I would rather face a series of grueling one on ones. Do you change your tactics if the interviewer is a woman?
there are pros and cons for both panel and one-on-one interview ...

for panel, you only need to say it once and dont have to repeat that info to each person with fully enthusiatic and a big honest smile ... view it as a presentation where we all exchange of knowledges and ideas ...

there is an advantage of one-on-one interview ... you need to know/guess what type/kind of the interviewer personality has .. by observing his/her office, clothing, and things being displaced ...

typically there are 4 types of personality .. Dictator, Thinker, Socializer, and passive ...

you wont want to socialize with a thinker ...

bottom line, be likeable, cause no one want to work with an Azzhole ..
ii2404
Loyal Member
Số Điểm: 1176
Old 10-13-2016 , 04:52 AM     ii2404 est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by Feline
Hahaha wow 8 years is not too shabby! I also can't commit to anything so I jump around every couple of years. It's also the only way I get a pay raise in my field. Sad, but true.

I belong to three organizations not because I want to but out of necessity in order to apply for specialty areas and for discounts on annual conferences. My annual conference(s) consist of CEs so it's difficult for me to network as I attend one lecture and then go to the next one like classes. I also don't get the concept or process of networking. It all just seems so superficial and artificial to me. I know people from the ones I've worked with and that's about it. I suck at initiating conversations as I'm so timid with people I don't know.
I'm the opposite of you, I like commitments, lol. I like my coworkers so it's not so bad. Besides the longer I stay, the more vacation days I get! Having seniority is great too.

Our conferences are for CEs also but they have job recruiters too. You guys don't have that? Networking is how you make it, just avoid those who make you uncomfortable and keep those who fit your personality. Start the conversation with, "Hi, how are you?" lol. Works like a charm, lol. Don't forget to add a smile!
Feline
Loyal Member
Old 10-13-2016 , 09:19 AM     Feline est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by AnhCung
I am usually very good in interviews and rarely do I not get the job and terms I ask for. However, The last interview I had was horrific. I haven't been on an interview probably over 12 years, mostly because for a long time I've always worked for myself. I remember sitting in that interview stuttering, freezing, and just looking like a deer caught in head lights.
It went so bad that I even told the interviewer, "who am I kidding. I'm not going to get this job based on this performance." and excused myself.
That was a rude awakening for me. Didn't realize how rusty I was. The one immediately after that I knocked it out of the park and received the offer same day.

What I always tell people when it comes to interview is don't talk you way out of a position. That means say enough to show you're knowledgeable, but not too much to hang yourself. A good interviewer (like me hahaah) will feed off of what you say and dig further to test if you really know extensively about things you say.

As for salary, I always know what number I want and what number I'm willing to accept. For instance, if I think my position is worth $160k, and that's the least I would take then I would come in requesting $170k.
But I do not give them the opportunity to deny it by wording it as follow. (give or take some words)

I am confident I am fully capable of meeting every expectation we've discussed thus far and believe I can bring more to the table with my experience and knowledge. I am currently making $163k (lie if you need to, they can't confirm it) and would like to remain competitive in the industry as far as salary. With that being said, I would hope you can consider $170k. blah blah blah
I do not mind proving myself to you and the company so if it makes you more comfortable, maybe we can agree on $163k, with an understanding that in 90days we can both sit down again to reconsider the $170k. That will give me a chance to earn your trust and show that I'm worthy of the $7k.

Sounds like a bunch of mumble jumble, but the key is, you're not demanding a raise. You're not cornering them into thinking they have to agree to this immediately, and most importantly it makes them think they still have the control.
It works every time. The best part is you wanted 160k, but you're now getting $163k which is already higher, even if you don't get the 7k later, you're already higher than where you wanted to start.

All this is based on whether or not you're capable and of course if the position is even offering in that neighborhood.
Very sound advice as usual. Thanks AC!
Feline
Loyal Member
Old 10-13-2016 , 09:23 AM     Feline est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by LinhXa
I love go to an Interview .. the formal the better = good lunch at high ends restaurant ...

beside doing your DD about the company and the job opening ....

know by heart of 5-7 real stories about: success, failure, difficult tasks/ppls/projects, strength/weakness, long/short term goals, and team work ... know them well cause you can always refer back to one of your stories for answering ...

I view an Interview as a ... exchange of ideas ... session. therefore; you answering 2-3 questions then you must ask them back questions and discuss about it ... if your question make them stuck you will be noticed and will get that job ...

do not just answering their questions and become silence ...
This is the first interview where they didn't ask me about my strengths and weaknesses. I hate those questions because we all want to make ourselves look good, even when we list our weaknesses. No one wants to be called lazy or messy but we all have days where we just don't feel like doing anything and we don't clean up after ourselves. The interview went like a casual conversation between two friends who haven't seen each other and were catching up. It was nice to not feel intimidated and bombarded with the typical interview questions. I passed the first round. Thank you Linh Xa!!!
Feline
Loyal Member
Old 10-13-2016 , 09:27 AM     Feline est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by emmuathubuon
I'm going thru a midlife crisis...I resigned my job a months ago n went on my trip to jamaica n domanican republic all by myself ,had a fantastic time,,the time of my life unstil I got back last week n asked myself what have I done? Anyway I sent my resume out last week 5 hours arrive at yyc ,I had avery negative feeling that it tough to get job with this economy in my city n surprisingly got called for interview twice in a same day,,,this morning I just got hired from a job,,I was caught off guard,,I shook hands n thank them for their time thought to myself game over I need to get the hell out of here ,n they said we not done with u yet n after one more question ab when can I get on board they told me you r hired,,,I'm like really,,my last job I have to come home n wait for a few days,,,anyway,, this job pay ok,,I'm waiting for my interview with another company on Friday morning n this is it,,this is the place I really really want to get my foot on the door,,I'm nervous now,,can't wait to get this things over,,,I told myself if I don't get this job this Friday, it's ok,it's not end of the world,remember u just got hired from another job two days ago,,no big deal...anyway wish me luck...I do really want this job on Friday interview in order to move forward
Well, at least you have some negotiating power and some leverage in the sense that you have a job offer on board so you can weasel your way into landing the job that you really want. Best of luck on your interview on Friday sis!!! You got this!!! Think positive thoughts!!!

Feline
Loyal Member
Old 10-13-2016 , 09:39 AM     Feline est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by ii2404
I'm the opposite of you, I like commitments, lol. I like my coworkers so it's not so bad. Besides the longer I stay, the more vacation days I get! Having seniority is great too.

Our conferences are for CEs also but they have job recruiters too. You guys don't have that? Networking is how you make it, just avoid those who make you uncomfortable and keep those who fit your personality. Start the conversation with, "Hi, how are you?" lol. Works like a charm, lol. Don't forget to add a smile!
I like commitments too but management sucks and I've been here 3 years in total (with a break in between). We have doctors who didn't go to business school trying to run a place. Can you say epic failure? Doctors cannot be managers and managers cannot be doctors, unless you've had proper training in both arenas. There is a certification for practice management but nobody wants to do it, or get an MBA; hence, nobody knows what the hell they're doing. Everyone wants to manage things but no one knows how to. Everyone wants a fancy title behind their names but no one knows how to live up to that title. This is why I wanna ultimately get an MBA and open up my own place and to effectively management people at every level.

I currently have seniority at my place but I honestly don't care about the extra stuff like accrued PTOs, sick days, paid CEs, etc. I am the only one in the company going for my specialty and they said that if I pass my board exam, they will give me $1 raise. I said to myself, are you phoking kidding me? So I'm putting in all of this time and commitment and extra work outside of work to study for a national board exam that very few people pass on an annual basis just for $1 more? Get the pho outta here. If I don't get $5 more then consider me per diem. I'll go somewhere else where my credentials are recognized and utilized to its fullest potential.
emmuathubuon
Số Điểm: 833
Old 10-13-2016 , 11:22 AM     emmuathubuon est dconnect  search   Quote  
Feline how come you r so smart,,can u give me a few neurons of yours. What should I tell them tomorrow on my customer services n my weakness ??
Feline
Loyal Member
Old 10-13-2016 , 11:34 AM     Feline est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by emmuathubuon
Feline how come you r so smart,,can u give me a few neurons of yours. What should I tell them tomorrow on my customer services n my weakness ??
You are too kind sis. Clearly I am not as smart or experienced as LX and AC amongst others; ergo, I am seeking for their advice to improve my technique. I think that for tomorrow, just be yourself and be genuine. Know your strengths and your weaknesses but always be willing to hone your skills and improve on them, and also to challenge yourself. We always have something to learn despite how knowledgeable and experienced we think we are. Be humble and confident; don't be overconfident or cocky.

As far as your weaknesses go, what would you like to improve about your CS skills or yourself in general? And brainstorm from there. Just think of it this way. When one door closes, another one always opens. You'll do fine. Don't sound like you're overly rehearsed and robotic and you'll do fine.

I interviewed for an anesthesia position and the hiring manager asked me some questions about anesthesia and what I've done in the past and up to this point. So I rattled on and on about my previous and current experiences and at the end I told her something about being familiar with anesthesia but that I also have a lot more to learn and I'm not trying to be cocky or anything. And she said no, that didn't come off as cocky at all. She really eased my nervousness as I didn't choke in this interview at all like I normally do.