VietFun For All   Quick Language Chooser:

Go Back   VietFun For All > Giải Trí > Nối Vòng Tay Lớn

SecretFlower
Gold Member
Số Điểm: 3121
Old 05-03-2017 , 12:16 PM     SecretFlower est dconnect  search   Quote  
Anh Alashikata:
You saw a couple got struck by lightning? You didn't laugh, did you?

Btw, you and DomDom made me laugh. I guess I should be grateful that we didn't end up seriously hurt or dead while hiking in the rain.
Ah, the art of reflection.

I agree with you that autumn temperatures are more pleasant. Besides that, visiting the vineyard during harvest season is wonderful because you get to experience the romance and witness the art of winemaking. However, I am afraid I may have to elbow my way through a crowd if I go to Napa Valley around that time.

No&A!:
Very cool! I have never seen Aurora Borealis in real life so thank you for the photo.

Some of my photos were taken during the time when daylight was too harsh which should be avoided though.

DomDom:
Hence the old adage: "You are only as old as you feel."

The "pay it forward" expression has been brought to my attention by a stranger in Carmel who found my wallet and made the effort to get it back to me while refusing to be compensated for that friendly act. Being the beneficiary of a good deed I am going to pay it forward by doing a good deed for another stranger. I believe that is the concept of "paying it forward". However, you should not carry out random acts of kindness just because you feel obligated to repay a deed. You just do it because it simply makes you happy or for the purpose of self-fulfillment.

Personal life and work have kept me extremely busy. I am not going to get into too much detail here…

Are you planning on visiting other European cities as well besides Zurich?
Alashikata
Platinum Member
Số Điểm: 6094
Old 05-04-2017 , 12:23 AM     Alashikata est dconnect  search   Quote  
No, saw couple lightning strike in front of my car that 's freaked out people in the car before the radio warning everyone to get of the HW asap. To bad that no one took out camera to take pictures because they're worry that the lightning may strike at any electronic
No&A!
Số Điểm: 636
Old 05-04-2017 , 05:06 AM     No&A! est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by SecretFlower
Anh Alashikata:
You saw a couple got struck by lightning? You didn't laugh, did you?

No&A!:
Very cool! I have never seen Aurora Borealis in real life so thank you for the photo.

Some of my photos were taken during the time when daylight was too harsh which should be avoided though.

I bet he laughed, he always laughs, his face looks like he is always laughing if I remember correctly, since it has been years since I last met up with Alashikata.

My first Borealis was taken toward the end of the season, hence not very bright and not very active. Not to mention the fact that I used a borrowed camera and unprofessionally planned Borealis trip. Normally people would find a location far from the city (light pollution) for the best possible image of Borealis. I just booked a quick trip to Alaska, stayed up all night near the airport and hotel (within a mile of bright light, yeah I know, shame on me). Other groups would book a Borealis tour with tour guide and a secluded location--these are Borealis hunters with years of experience. I did none of those but was lucky enough to catch a last glimpse of Borealis in early 2017 by myself without knowledge of how to hunt for it or how to take pictures (beside the fact that I did some quick readings on google and that was a bit helpful).

I do plan to return to Alaska for a second encounter with Borealis. This time well prepared. I collected all brochures of the tours there and planning to get a camera of my own (not borrowing anymore ).

I am contemplating between Sony A 7r2 mirrorless or waiting for a FF Mirrorless from Canon (which is rumored to be announced this Fall 2017). If the latest canon FF mirrorless is not as spectacular as the Sony A9 or even a 7r2 then I might have to jump ship to Sony who is pushing for Mirrorless technology while Canon just idly sitting around as of now.

My other option is the Canon 5d Mark 4, this should have great low light video and picture capability--much needed to capture images (or take video) of Borealis.

In your previous picture, did you use stacking method or ND filter?

Somehow I like to take pictures at night (guess I am a night person) and I plan to image stack to capture the galaxy or star pattern at night.
SecretFlower
Gold Member
Old 05-04-2017 , 03:37 PM     SecretFlower est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by Alashikata
No, saw couple lightning strike in front of my car that 's freaked out people in the car before the radio warning everyone to get of the HW asap. To bad that no one took out camera to take pictures because they're worry that the lightning may strike at any electronic
Anh sợ sét đánh trúng máy chụp hình bị hư thấy tiếc hay là sợ bị trúng người nè?

No&A!:
If I remember correctly, the last time I took pictures at night was about 5 years ago in Munich. Even though I find pictures taken at night quite fascinating, I am too afraid to go to secluded locations by myself (I don't want to drag anyone along who is not into photography) so I guess I will be deprived of that experience unless I find some enthusiastic photographers living nearby who would allow me to tag along when they go on a night photography excursion. How comes I have never thought of joining a tour? Good idea!

Since I have become such an early bird I love to take pictures at dawn and sunrise. Like this one below. I don't know what I did with the shutter speed there, but the waves in the background look so wrong.

The picture in my previous post was taken with a bad ND filter that messed up the colors so I converted it into black and white.

Since you had to borrow someone else's camera, can I safely assume that you don't own a camera at all or did you just forget yours at home? I will have to google the cameras you listed to learn more about them.

Btw, with such careful preparation, exhilarating thoughts and undeniable passion, I am sure your second encounter with Borealis will be perfect. I can see your eyes sparked with anticipation. Too cute!
Alashikata
Platinum Member
Old 05-04-2017 , 11:40 PM     Alashikata est dconnect  search   Quote  
Tiếc sợ hư máy Tại mượn cúa người ta, hư mắc công đền lấm

Do you edit your photo before posting in here? Like using Lightroom?

Didn't realize No&A! borrow camera too. Since my friend offers to let me borrow anytime I need, it's the reason I have never bought any new camera since 2000 All I need is buy extra battery and memory to have a longer strip without recharge

I have reviewed Sony 7r2 and A6500. I think I will get A6500 since I am not a pro, don't need 7r2.

Canon will release Mirrorless this fall but not sure why cheaper than Sony A6500 since this sony model is not full frame.
No&A!
Old 05-05-2017 , 02:20 AM     No&A! est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :

No&A!:

Since I have become such an early bird I love to take pictures at dawn and sunrise.

The picture in my previous post was taken with a bad ND filter that messed up the colors so I converted it into black and white.

Since you had to borrow someone else's camera, can I safely assume that you don't own a camera at all or did you just forget yours at home? I will have to google the cameras you listed to learn more about them.

Btw, with such careful preparation, exhilarating thoughts and undeniable passion, I am sure your second encounter with Borealis will be perfect. I can see your eyes sparked with anticipation. Too cute!
You are an early bird, that makes me a late bird then.

If you have a regular lens, I guess bad filter is OK, but if you have an L lens and are using bad filter, then I guess it is time to buy a better one such ask Breakthrough brand or the like?

Mine is a cropped sensor camera, I knew I needed to take in all the light possible (Borealis at night with pretty much no light) and I didn't like the current prices of the Canon FF cameras, so I borrowed a Full Frame from my friend. I am eagerly awaiting this Fall for an announcement from Canon either for an upgraded 6d Mk2 or mirrorless FF.

My next encounter with Borealis would be a lot better for sure. I plan to video it, too, not just take some pictures.

Quote :
I have reviewed Sony 7r2 and A6500. I think I will get A6500 since I am not a pro, don't need 7r2.

Canon will release Mirrorless this fall but not sure why cheaper than Sony A6500 since this sony model is not full frame.
You have a pile of cash, just buy one good camera and forget the rest. After all, you can't bring the cash with you once you are 3 feet underground
Alashikata
Platinum Member
Old 05-05-2017 , 03:42 AM     Alashikata est dconnect  search   Quote  
It it 3 feet or 6 feet? I don't really care the cash much as long I am happy. No regret if I can't even spend
No&A!
Old 05-05-2017 , 03:55 AM     No&A! est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
It it 3 feet or 6 feet? I don't really care the cash much as long I am happy. No regret if I can't even spend
We all here have been in Vietfun for so long to know you are "too" cheap to have them dig you a 6 feet grave, so you planned ahead and asked for a 70% discount by asking them to dig you a 3 feet one. hahaha.

So you want to go with Canon or Sony, it is all about the lens, once you go with a brand, hard to switch you know.
Alashikata
Platinum Member
Old 05-05-2017 , 04:13 AM     Alashikata est dconnect  search   Quote  
I aren't pay for 6ft or even 3ft Cremated is cheaper

I am going for Sony, I have watched a lot of pro on youtube that use sony A6500 with lens adapter so you can use canon lens on sony camera. The quality is awesome. Check out Jason Lanier on youtube that he explains everything and rate the sony products.
No&A!
Old 05-05-2017 , 06:13 AM     No&A! est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
I aren't pay for 6ft or even 3ft Cremated is cheaper

I am going for Sony, I have watched a lot of pro on youtube that use sony A6500 with lens adapter so you can use canon lens on sony camera. The quality is awesome. Check out Jason Lanier on youtube that he explains everything and rate the sony products.
Adapter is not the real thing. I wouldn't use Canon L lens on any other camera but Canon, and vice versa. It is just not the same.

Plus, there is another issue, it would make the connections fragile. Without adapter you have 2 separate pieces, lens and camera; with adapter, you have 3 separate pieces, the more pieces you have, the more likely the weight of it would bend or break the connections, that is just how gravity works.

And a final point, with the weather sealed canon L lens, you won't get much sealing if you were to slap it on an adapter to use with Sony.

So the best bet is to stick to Sony then buy native Sony lens, or stick with Canon and their native lens. Canon is making a FF mirrorless soon, if the rumors are correct, the specs should be ok (or great).
Alashikata
Platinum Member
Old 05-06-2017 , 02:42 AM     Alashikata est dconnect  search   Quote  
The adapter was built for canon lens so you can't get wrong with it, and it's small too. The guy has many different lens that he shows you exactly what to buy to get it right. Sony does have some expensive lens too but not many versions as canon.

I don't plan to swap the lens, just for basic photo on the trips with quality when using automatic mode. Since I don't use often so kinda forget how to use in manual mode.
SecretFlower
Gold Member
Old 05-07-2017 , 02:55 AM     SecretFlower est dconnect  search   Quote  
No&A!:
Yes, you are a late bird or a night owl. The latter is cooler!

I have a regular lens so I guess a bad ND filter is OK then. It was my first time using a Variable ND filter (not a good idea). I just have to figure out how to fix the color cast and vignetting around the edges with post processing. Though it is frustrating to not be able to edit in raw. Below are the bad results.

Are you waiting for the FF Mirrorless from Canon so you can have access to a wider selection of Canon lenses since you don't seem to believe in lens adapters?

I guess my love for nature reflects in my photos in which mostly lakes, oceans or mountains are manifested. Besides Borealis, what do you like to take pictures of the most?

Anh Alashikata:
I got a free version of Lightroom 3 from dangtri a long time ago, but hadn't used it for years because it wouldn't work on my MacBook Pro. Last month I installed it on a new windows laptop, but unfortunately this Lightroom version doesn't recognize my camera's raw files so I ended up editing the JPEG files instead. Not very ideal! It takes me on average 5 minutes to edit a picture... yes, shame on me for not taking it too seriously.
JohnR
Diamond Member
Số Điểm: 11146
Old 05-07-2017 , 04:13 PM     JohnR est dconnect  search   Quote  
Hi Secretflower, feliz lunes to you.

"Personal life and work have kept me extremely busy. I am not going to get into too much detail here…

Are you planning on visiting other European cities as well besides Zurich?"

No worries, sometimes silence speaks louder than words. Since you're extremely busy, that reminds me of a book called "Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less," by Greg McKeown. If you get a chance, download the free sample on kindle, the concept might help you with being less "busy." I am currently enjoying a book tittled, "The Power of time Perception: Control the speed of time to make every Second Count." The other day, I was walking and talking to my co-worker about my conversion to becoming a minimalist and an essentialist.....the women scoffed at me.

I am only interested in Switzerland. But I haven't found a tour package that features only Switzerland for 5-8 days. I found one that includes Paris, I love South of France, but have zero interests in Paris. Though, I might also consider Tibet and North Mt. Everest base camp, or hiking the Himalayas.

I see you're are getting back into photography more seriously now. Guess something has changed in your life. I just had a conversation with my husband about seeds. I asked him, "do you know what's the difference between a dead seed and a seed that's still alive?" I told him, "A seed is considered alive when it can still grow and developed. Same as for humans. This morning, while talking to my husband about his job, he was explaining to me about the Maslow's pyramid of needs, and how he uses it to treat his staffs. I was so awe-struck, couldn't help but bend down to kiss him. What's on your mind? Have a pleasant week Secretflower.

No&A
I can't view your picture. Word has it Iceland has the best Northern lights. Yeah, just book a tour next time. Since I travel long trips alone, I always books tours, and I have learned so much from each of them.

Last edited by JohnR; 05-07-2017 at 04:29 PM..
JohnR
Diamond Member
Old 05-07-2017 , 04:16 PM     JohnR est dconnect  search   Quote  
Alashikata
I was actually thinking about you when I texted this to my husband a few hours ago. "Honey, your poor student-wife is cutting coupons and buying things on sale again, so her husband can retire young." Can you believe some other bytch took all my pistachios, I had to drive to another store to get these?

The store cashier knows I always come here to buy nuts. So he told on me, that she was online last night looking at the adds before the Sunday's newspaper. I am just so surprised there's another lunatic nutty head like me.

Last edited by JohnR; 05-07-2017 at 04:20 PM..
Alashikata
Platinum Member
Old 05-08-2017 , 12:08 AM     Alashikata est dconnect  search   Quote  
I am no coupons chaser. There are so many on sale these days without coupons need. If it's on sale, I get it otherwise forget it. It's the best way to stop me eating too much junk food

So instead you call me cheap, you want to use your philosophy to describe the poor man.
No&A!
Old 05-08-2017 , 06:08 AM     No&A! est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
The adapter was built for canon lens so you can't get wrong with it, and it's small too. The guy has many different lens that he shows you exactly what to buy to get it right. Sony does have some expensive lens too but not many versions as canon.

I don't plan to swap the lens, just for basic photo on the trips with quality when using automatic mode. Since I don't use often so kinda forget how to use in manual mode.
If yours is not mission critical, then you can use an adapter, I guess that is ok since you mostly use automatic mode. But it all boils down to this, an adapter is never the same as the original (real) thing. No matter who tells us otherwise.

Quote :
Originally Posted by JohnR
No&A
I can't view your picture. Word has it Iceland has the best Northern lights. Yeah, just book a tour next time. Since I travel long trips alone, I always books tours, and I have learned so much from each of them.
Yes, I have heard the same also. But I am not sure if I want to travel that far for a Borealis. I guess I should do other things in Iceland in the day time while hoping to get some nice Borealis at night.

Quote :
I have a regular lens so I guess a bad ND filter is OK then. It was my first time using a Variable ND filter (not a good idea). I just have to figure out how to fix the color cast and vignetting around the edges with post processing. Though it is frustrating to not be able to edit in raw. Below are the bad results.

Are you waiting for the FF Mirrorless from Canon so you can have access to a wider selection of Canon lenses since you don't seem to believe in lens adapters?

I guess my love for nature reflects in my photos in which mostly lakes, oceans or mountains are manifested. Besides Borealis, what do you like to take pictures of the most?
Oh definitely, the two pictures you posted above using ND filter are not nice at all.

Perhaps, if you plan on shooting many pictures, you could save and invest in some great lens (or L lens). The downside is they tend to be heavier, I am not sure if you are built to carry heavy equipment all morning or even day.

I could tell from all your pictures that you like nature. I guess many of us like nature as well...such as water, water makes the picture feel calm. I like oceans, mountains, and other landscape pictures, too. But lately, something inside me just keep asking for night pictures and I don't know why. It's a feeling and feelings are seldom easy to quantify.

I have told Alashikata that I do not like any lens adapter. I provided him my reasons, and also some of the focusing issues using adapters which might cost us a great shot. Imagine you see a quick action scene that you want to snap, you could zoom in with your L lens at long focal length and it takes less than a second to focus and shoot. With an adapter, you would not be as lucky, experts say they have a hard time focusing at long focal length. If I paid an arm and a leg for an L lens, I want quick focusing, I won't give that up with an adapter so I am waiting for a Canon FF Mirrorless to have "access to a wider selection of Canon lenses" like you said. And no adapter.

I am waiting for a Canon 6d Mark 2, hopefully they would release it, if not then they are likely to have a FF mirrorless to phase out the successful 6d.
SecretFlower
Gold Member
Old 05-08-2017 , 02:09 PM     SecretFlower est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
No worries, sometimes silence speaks louder than words. Since you're extremely busy, that reminds me of a book called "Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less," by Greg McKeown. If you get a chance, download the free sample on kindle, the concept might help you with being less "busy." I am currently enjoying a book tittled, "The Power of time Perception: Control the speed of time to make every Second Count." The other day, I was walking and talking to my co-worker about my conversion to becoming a minimalist and an essentialist.....the women scoffed at me.
Did you recommend her the book "Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less" after she scoffed at you? Just picture yourself being your co-worker…here you are being all tired and wanting to be somewhere else rather than at work and your co-worker starts talking about the pursuit of happiness in the quality of life or the simplification of life based on the principle of "less rather than more". Do you start feeling some empathy towards her, yet?

Quote :
I see you're are getting back into photography more seriously now. Guess something has changed in your life. I just had a conversation with my husband about seeds. I asked him, "do you know what's the difference between a dead seed and a seed that's still alive?" I told him, "A seed is considered alive when it can still grow and developed. Same as for humans. This morning, while talking to my husband about his job, he was explaining to me about the Maslow's pyramid of needs, and how he uses it to treat his staffs. I was so awe-struck, couldn't help but bend down to kiss him. What's on your mind? Have a pleasant week Secretflower.
I am getting back into photography because I want to learn to see with a camera and be a seed that is still alive. I guess I just want some alone time for myself. When I take pictures I don't take notice of anyone around me. That's when I savor my hours of solitude and freedom.

What is on my mind right now? I notice that I have been so tired lately and intend to go to bed earlier from tomorrow on so I can go to the gym at 5 am like I used to.

Enjoy your week, DomDom!

PS: I will check out the aforementioned books whenever I have time.
SecretFlower
Gold Member
Old 05-08-2017 , 02:23 PM     SecretFlower est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
Originally Posted by No&A!
Oh definitely, the two pictures you posted above using ND filter are not nice at all.

Perhaps, if you plan on shooting many pictures, you could save and invest in some great lens (or L lens). The downside is they tend to be heavier, I am not sure if you are built to carry heavy equipment all morning or even day.
At least they made you laugh.

I only have experience with point and shoot cameras until recently I got myself an inexpensive DSLR from Nikon to practice. So far I haven't done anything right with it, which makes me want to abandon it so badly, but I will give it another shot. I refuse to carry heavy equipment around so if I ever want to invest in a good camera I probably will choose a mirrorless one.

Quote :
Originally Posted by No&A!
But lately, something inside me just keep asking for night pictures and I don't know why. It's a feeling and feelings are seldom easy to quantify.
A feeling doesn't need to be explained or quantified. Sometimes we constantly argue with ourselves because we want to be reasonable and logical. We often justify ourselves to others and to us, but maybe we should try to listen to our feelings and thoughts without judgment for a change.

If something inside you keeps asking for night pictures then embrace that feeling and pursue your desire. It could be a beginning of many great night photos captured or at least a wonderful experience to remember forever. A German philosopher once said: "And suddenly you know: It's time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings."
JohnR
Diamond Member
Old 05-09-2017 , 03:48 AM     JohnR est dconnect  search   Quote  
Quote :
I am no coupons chaser. There are so many on sale these days without coupons need. If it's on sale, I get it otherwise forget it. It's the best way to stop me eating too much junk food

So instead you call me cheap, you want to use your philosophy to describe the poor man.
Wish I have the patience, like you and my husband, to wait for things to go on sale. I sent that photo to him, because of what he said earlier in the day. He said, "govt' workers are cautious with money, because their aim is always retirement." Since I am now going back to school, so technically, I am supposed to be broke ass. I was so excited that I purchased those nuts so cheap--it's like a badge of honor. Okay, you're not cheap, you're money efficient. Just like how I am very time efficient. You use time to gain money, I use money to gain time. hahahah.. Excuse moi.
JohnR
Diamond Member
Old 05-09-2017 , 03:59 AM     JohnR est dconnect  search   Quote  
Secretflower

"Just picture yourself being your co-worker…here you are being all tired and wanting to be somewhere else rather than at work "---Ahem are you self-projecting? Work must be hampering you down. Domdo'm's prescription for energy is sleep, water, vitamin B-complex, fresh air and lone time. hahhaha, that reminds me of a book I recently purchased called, "the Introvert Advantage." It teaches you how to harvest energy for introverted people. But since I am still stuck in my "time" book, and technical readings for school....maybe I'll finish it when you finish your Essentialism free download. OMG yesterday, at work, kicked my ass....that was rough. It's so funny, you would have loved to be my co-worker. I've known to be passing drugs around at work.